Monday 24 August 2009

Barrichello hanging onto title dream

Rubens Barrichello believes it is still possible he can beat team-mate Jenson Button to the world championship title following his first win in five years at the European Grand Prix.

The veteran Brazilian appeared to slip out of realistic title contention after falling 26 points behind his Brawn stable-mate after failing to score points in Hungary.

But his 10th career win in Valencia, combined with a seventh place for Button and the Red Bull drivers' failure to score, re-established Barrichello in second place in the standings, 18 points adrift with 60 points still up for grabs.

Having outperformed Button for the majority of last season as the team in its former guise as Honda struggled at the back of the field, Barrichello admits Button started the season in stronger form which allowed him to claim six quick-fire victories.

But the 37-year-old insists he never gave up hope that the tide could turn and says he retains that same belief that he can continue to reduce Button’s points lead and claim his first world title.

“I had a fantastic season last year with a bad car, better than Jenson [Button] and all of a sudden Jenson was well prepared at the beginning of the season and he stepped up and was able to conquer and win races,” Barrichello said.

“You guys…know that I'm a believer and I dream and I work very hard.



“I think that's the only way I can try to put myself into a winning situation.

“I had a great holiday and I came back ready for this, so it's a great win. Of course it puts me into a better situation in the championship,

“I just have to keep on working, I think it's very, very much possible.”

Having been dominated by Button in the opening half of the season, Barrichello has outqualified the championship leader at three of the last four events, scoring eight more points in the same period.

However, despite recently having the edge, the Brazilian said his long-time team-mate can not be underestimated – believing the fact the pair are pushing each other to greater performances is good for the team.

“Jenson is always very competitive, he's a hard worker,” he said.

“He drives the car very well, very, very smoothly, so you just have to be on the top of your game all the time.

“I cannot say that yes, from now on it's one way or the other.

“During the past three years we have been better in some areas of the championship and then he got better and then I got better and the best thing for the team is that we push each other very, very much.

“I think this is really good for the team.”

Barrichello added that both drivers would be giving it their all next weekend at Spa to prove the team has overcome its recent tyre temperature troubles, but said they would continue their intra-team battle in a fair way.

“Next weekend is going to be a hell of a good weekend for us to prove the car is competitive again because the temperatures should be lower, so it's going to be a good fight, but at least it's a healthy fight between ourselves,” he said.

“I think we try to beat each other very, very hard, but in a fair way.

Although Barrichello is the grid’s most oldest regular driver and been competing in the sport for 17 years, the veteran says he maintains the desire to remain in the sport next season.

He added that, with the driver market expected to soon be blown wide open by Fernando Alonso’s increasingly expected move to Ferrari, he was happy to wait for his future to be resolved.

“For next year, I wish to carry on,” he insisted.

“It's early, there's lots of talking because of [Fernando] Alonso and this and that but as I said, it takes me 15 minutes to get out of the circuit because I talk to everyone and I love to talk to everyone, so I'm really leaving my chances open for next year.”

No comments:

Post a Comment